In one recent study, diabetic patients on a low-fat vegan diet were able to drop their fasting serum glucose concentration 28% compared with 12% for a control group following the dietary guidelines of the American Diabetes Association. The vegan group also lost more weight and lowered their cholesterol by a greater degree (5).
The blood sugar drops these low-fat diets bring about are so impressive that patients are usually able to discontinue medications and insulin injections within weeks.
After only 26 days, patients in another diet studying an almost-meatless, low-fat diet and exercise regime, largely ditched their medications. In all, 21 of 23 patients on oral medications and 13 of 17 patients on insulin were able to get off of their medications (6).
So how much fat is low fat? The number of calories coming from fat that generally brings about the best results in studies is 10 percent, a number that corresponds with a wide variety of other good health parameters.
The Causes of High Blood Sugar: Why Fruit Sugar And Leafy Greens Are Great
Even the American Diabetes Association, which promotes a short-sighted diet that does not reverse diabetes, praises fruit and does not suggest its restriction (7).
What's more, fruit is a proven diabetes fighter. Adding a mere three servings of fresh fruit a day to a person's diet has been shown to decrease diabetes risk by 18 percent (8).
Leafy green vegetables have also been shown to have a big impact. Pooled data from four studies determined that eating a mere 3.5 cups of raw leafy greens a day provided a 14% decrease in diabetes risk (9).
The Causes of High Blood Sugar: What To Take Away
You do not have to suffer from high blood sugar, type 2 diabetes, candida, or any other associated problems. Suffering from these conditions is a choice, and an easily-reversible one.
Want the best way to reverse your diabetes and lower your blood sugar? Start a low fat raw vegan diet filled with man's original foods.
The Causes of High Blood Sugar: Following Up
Interested in how the same causes of high blood sugar wreak havoc on the rest of the body? Read this article.
Learn more about raw food nutritional topics.
Learn how to make healthy, low-fat raw vegan salad dressings that won't mess with your blood sugar.
The Causes of High Blood Sugar: Sources
2) Van Eck, W. "The Effect of a Low Fat Diet on the Serum Lipids in Diabetes and its Significance in Diabetic Retinopath. Am J Med. 1959; 27:196-211
3) Type 2 diabetes--time to change our approach. Lancet, 2010. 375(9733): p. 2193.
4) Peterson KF, Dufour S, Befroy D, Garcia R, Shulman GI. Impaired mitochondrial activity in the insulin-resistant offspring of patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2004;350:554-671.
5) Barnard, N. D., Cohen, J., Jenkins, D. J. A., Turner-McGrievy, G., Gloede, L., Jaster, B., Seidl, K., Green, A. A., & Talpers, S. (2006). A Low-Fat Vegan Diet Improves Glycemic Control and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in a Randomized Clinical Trial in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care , 29 (8), 1777-1783.
6) Barnard RJ, Lattimore L, Holly RG, Cherny S, Pritikin N. Response of non-insulindependent diabetic patients to an intensive program of diet and exercise. Diabetes Care. 1982;5(4):370-4
7) American Diabetes Association Website: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/fruits.html
8) Bazzano, L.A., et al., Intake of Fruit, Vegetables, and Fruit Juices and Risk of Diabetes in Women. Diabetes Care, 2008. 31(7): p. 1311-1317.
9) Carter, P., et al., Fruit and vegetable intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus: systematic review and meta-analysis. Bmj, 2010. 341: p. c4229.
Receive the free Raw Food Health Journal
Keep up to date with new articles from this site.
Copyright © raw-food-health.net | All rights reserved. Website design by Cre8ve Online